24. Mai 2012

being holy

It happened to be that I was thinking about holiness.
What is holy? Can I be holy? If yes - how?
So I asked a guy, who t knows a lot and has a RIDICULOUS relationship with the LORD. His name is Marc Parker, which I believe, a couple of you know, what holy means.
His answer was simple and yet difficult.
>> 'focused on God'
So I'm holy when I focus on God, that's easy to understand. But what about sin? What about our separation, can I just be holy in his presence? That can't be true..?
I was dwelling on these thoughts for one or two days and still didn't really know what to do with it, but then God made one thing really clear: Lena, you don't have to sin, in fact you can be in my presence for hours and even days! -BOOM-
What? How? We are sinners, we are a fallen world, a sinful nation, the devil as ruler over the earth - HOW?
Everything I learned since I was little was that we sin, everyday, even in our mind and so on..now, that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if anyone ever said that but I thought so and believed it. I thought I'm sinful -always.
But what is sin even? Where does sin start? I knew that my thought could be sin, but I can't change what pops into my head, right? How is it, that I don't have to sin but things are coming to mind that are definitely NOT holy?
Is there a difference that I never knew?
Oh yes, since God is good, and lets us find what we seek he revealed to me, that there is temptation and sin! And these are two different things. Temptation, apparently is what pops into your head. You can't change it, yes, you can train it - maybe - but really - that's not sin!
What are you doing with those thoughts though? Does that mean that I have the right to think in a bad way about people and complain about things - I mean, it's just in my head, right?
NO my dear friend - that's not a licence to gossip in your head! The answer is don't dwell. And yes, it is that easy! Don't dwell on the thought, don't add to it, just pray he would protect you more and more from these thoughts and don't continue thinking about it and don't speak it out. Instead think good things about this person, situation, Vegemite, dress, .. you get the point..
So back to holiness..since I don't have to sin every minute, hour, day, ... I can definitely be in his presence. It's obvious that it's not done by not sinning, but now you can start to learn focusing!
Make every decision with God.

Pray continually. 
See the beauty that he gave us in nature and people! 
Live out our gifts and talents. 
Read his word.
....

People, I can't even tell you how big of a revelation that was for me! 
YES, we can be holy! 
And we're called to be! 

Leviticus 20: 7 // Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy; for I am the Lord your God. 

1 Peter 1: 15 // But as the One Who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all your conduct and manner of living.